The Graeme Carnegie Fellowship is an eight-week (~40/hrs week) competitive research-intensive experience in the Department of Pharmacology at the University of Illinois College of Medicine in Chicago. The department consistently leads the field in funding (7th in the nation in NIH research funding in 2016) and is home to a world-class graduate pharmacology program. Awardees will have the opportunity to attend departmental seminars, presentations by guest speakers, a contemporary scientific methods course, and laboratory meetings. Admitted students are expected to prepare a research proposal, in conjunction with their faculty mentor, prior to the start of program. At the end of the program, students will present their work in a departmental seminar.
This program is designed for students interested in pursuing a doctoral degree (Ph.D.) in biomedical sciences or related fields and who will have just completed their sophomore or junior year in college. As we are committed to increasing the number of students from underrepresented minorities in Ph.D. programs, those students are especially encouraged to apply.
To be considered for the Graeme Carnegie Fellowship, you must:
1. Be a current sophomore or junior in college who has a 3.5 (on a 4.0 scale) or higher GPA (or equivalent)
2. Have an interest in pursuing a Ph.D. in biomedical sciences or related fields
Students will be selected based on their commitment to a research career, prior research experience, academic record, and letters of recommendation from faculty advisors/research supervisors.
The 2018 Graeme Carnegie Fellowship program will be held from June 18, 2018 through August 15, 2018
(if the applicant’s academic calendar conflicts with these dates, they may be adjusted, but the full eight-week Fellowship must be completed)
Application Deadline (received by): February 9, 2018
Notifications of award will be send in early March.
A $4,500 stipend will be provided by the Graeme Carnegie Fellowship to cover room, board, travel, and other expenses incurred by the student during the program.
Apply through our online application, open on November 27, 2017.
The following materials must be submitted by the application deadline through the above link (unless otherwise indicated). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
1. A 500-word essay discussing how this program will help the student reach their career goals.
2. A 100-word statement indicating which research interest of the department the student is most interested in working in and why.
More information on research programs in the department can be found at: http://mcph.uic.edu/primary-faculty/
3. An official transcript (sent directly by the undergraduate institution to the mailing address below).
4. Two letters of recommendation from faculty members or research supervisors. (A signed PDF must be uploaded, or mailed/emailed
by the recommender directly).
Attention: Graeme Carnegie Fellowship
Andrei Karginov, Ph.D.,
Department of Pharmacology
University of Illinois at Chicago
835 S. Wolcott Ave., E403
Chicago, IL 60612